Warning: Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/29/d356919204/htdocs/clickandbuilds/LondonAllergyCare/wp-content/themes/londonallergy/partials/common/page-title.php on line 1

Why See an Allergist?

You should see an allergist if you or your child suffer from any of the following:

  • Eczema: Patients with eczema should see an allergist if they:
    • Start with eczema in the first six months of life
    • Have eczema resistant to treatment.
    • Have eczema that shows seasonal variations
    • Have eczema and suspect an allergic cause.
  • Allergic Conjunctivitis: You should see an allergist if medications are not controlling your ocular symptoms.
  • Anaphylaxis: If you/your child have had an anaphylactic reaction (very severe allergic reaction) associated with a food or drug or if the trigger has not been identified.


  • Food Allergy: If you have food allergy, you should see an allergist if you have:
    • Multiple food allergies.
    • Co-existent food allergy and asthma
    • If you are on a restricted diet because of food allergy
    • If you are expecting a baby and want counsel on preventing or identifying food allergies
    • If your child is wheezing and you suspect allergic asthma

Your GP can deal with most allergies by prescribing appropriate medicines and advice. In many cases, the GP may decide that you our your child will benefit from being referred to a specialist in allergies. You should look for medical advice if you or your child present with any symptom of an allergic disease. Many people start self-treating their allergies with over-the-counter drugs. However, these medications may have unpleasant side effects or they may not improve the symptoms.

  • Insect Hypersensitivity: Those individuals who have severe reactions to insect stings or bites.
  • Asthma. The following patients with asthma should see an allergist:
    • Patients with severe asthma.
    • Patients who have both asthma and food allergy
    • Asthmatic patients who believe allergic triggers are causing their asthma
  • Allergic Rhinitis: A patient with allergic rhinitis (hay fever) should see an allergist if:
    • Medications are not controlling your symptoms.
    • Your quality of life is affected
    • If you are interested on immunotherapy (desensitisation)
  • Sinusitis: Individuals with prolonged or frequent sinus infections.
  • Drug Allergies: Those with a suspected drug allergy who are likely to need that drug again.
  • Urticaria (Hives): Patients with urticaria, hives (nettle rash) should see an allergist if:
    • Urticaria is severe
    • Patient suspects it is caused by a food or a drug
    • Hives lasting 6 weeks or more